Editor’s note: Please continue to follow the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for up-to-date information and guidelines about coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and pay attention to policies and restrictions specific to your state or region as they are constantly evolving. Please also speak with your healthcare team for personalized information and instructions.
It’s April, which typically brings springtime weather, holidays and cheer. We pack up our sweaters, dust off our shelves and make plans to get together with family and friends.
This year, everything feels different.
With a lot of the country under “safer at home,” “social distancing” and other restrictions, it’s hard to feel that springtime spring in our steps. But remember there are lots of ways to stay connected – through modern technology or through good old-fashioned snail mail.
And whether it’s springtime or fall, pandemic or no – pancreatic cancer does not stop or slow down. And neither does the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (PanCAN). PanCAN’s Patient Central can help you figure out your first step after diagnosis – and stay by your side throughout your entire journey.
How Patient Central Can Help
There has been no disruption to PanCAN’s personalized Patient and Healthcare Professional Services.
In this climate of uncertainty, one thing is certain: pancreatic cancer patients need our support, and the need for resources remains urgent. No other organization supports pancreatic cancer patients and their families like PanCAN.
Here are some reasons to stay connected to PanCAN’s Patient Central:
- For those recently diagnosed or those already going through treatment, contact Patient Central to speak to a compassionate case manager who can provide critical information about how to fight this disease.
- Case managers provide free, personalized information about how to get the right team of experts, the right tests and the right treatment plan, which may include clinical trials, for you or your loved one.
- We also offer support for anyone impacted by pancreatic cancer with information about diet and nutrition, managing the side effects of treatment, navigating healthcare costs and insurance, connecting with others who are impacted by the disease and more.
- Our case managers are highly trained and knowledgeable and can provide information about any question you may have about pancreatic cancer.
- During these unprecedented times, it’s important to have a support system that includes caregivers, family, friends, healthcare professionals and a patient advocate – like PanCAN – to address and manage patient needs.
And no matter how pancreatic cancer has touched you and your family, PanCAN offers additional ways to stay connected.
Ways to Stay Connected with PanCAN
- Virtual is the new purple! Sign up today for your local (or multiple!) PurpleStride, our virtual walk event to end pancreatic cancer. It’s free to register as a virtual strider, and you can fundraise from home via email, mail, Facebook and other ways.
- Get creative with DIY events. Ask for donations in honor of a special occasion, like a birthday or anniversary. Charge “admission” for a virtual Happy Hour or at-home concert from a local band. Get sponsors to help you reach your exercise goals.
- Reach out to your local volunteer affiliate. There are PanCAN affiliates throughout the country, made up of people with similar experiences as you. Attend virtual meetings, find out ways to get involved in leadership positions or lean on each other for comradery and support at this time.
- Keep your brain active, too! Browse through our archive of educational webinars, so you can learn more about diverse topics covering diet and nutrition, treatment, diagnostic tools, pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors and more.
This isn’t going to be the April any of us had planned. But we are all in this together, and we at PanCAN are still here for you. Please stay connected with us.