Editor’s note: Each week, the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network’s (PanCAN) Friday Fix blog series covers topics related to diet, nutrition, health and wellness, which can be especially useful for pancreatic cancer patients and caregivers. Check out previous Friday Fix articles, and if you have a topic you’d like us to write about in the future, please leave it in the comments section below.
Book Lovers Day is Aug. 9, and in honor of the occasion, the Fix is offering a look at cookbooks especially good for pancreatic cancer patients. Because people facing cancer can sometimes feel uninspired by food, we set out to find recommendations on cookbooks that can stimulate interest in cooking as well as interest in trying some new recipes.
Here, two of our healthcare professional contributors weigh in with their favorites.
From Maria Petzel, senior clinical dietitian with MD Anderson Cancer Center and an emeritus member of the PanCAN Scientific and Medical Advisory Board:
- What to Eat During Cancer Treatment: 100 Great-Tasting, Family-Friendly Recipes to Help You Cope (2009) by Jeanne Besser
- The Essential Cancer Treatment Nutrition Guide and Cookbook (2012) by Jean LaMantia
- The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery (2009) by Rebecca Katz
- The New American Plate Cookbook: Recipes for a Healthy Weight and a Healthy Life (2005) by The American Institute for Cancer Research
From Katrina Claghorn, registered dietitian nutritionist with 25 years of experience in oncology nutrition, specializing in pancreatic cancer and gastrointestinal cancers:
- Eating Well Through Cancer: Easy Recipes & Tips to Guide You Through Treatment and Cancer Prevention (2016) by Holly Berkowitz Clegg
- Cook for Your Life: Delicious, Nourishing Recipes for Before, During, and After Cancer Treatment (2015) by Ann Ogden Gaffney
Of “Cook for Your Life,” dietitian Claghorn noted: “This book was nominated for a James Beard Award in 2016. It has delicious, non-fussy recipes and is categorized by symptoms.
“It’s a delight to read, and the recipes are so appealing that I have used them many times!”