IT’S TIME TO WAGE HOPE IN NOVEMBER FOR ONE OF THE NATION’S DEADLIEST CANCERS
Pancreatic Cancer Action Network Encourages Supporters to
See Purple, Take Action during National Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month
Manhattan Beach, CA (November 2, 2015) — With a five-year survival rate of just seven percent, pancreatic cancer is one of the nation’s deadliest cancers. The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is asking supporters to Wage Hope and take action to raise vital awareness for the disease during Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month in November.
There is no effective screening method for pancreatic cancer and few treatment options. And an estimated 72 percent of patients will die in the first year of diagnosis.
“The urgency for patients is real and the time to Wage Hope is now,” said Julie Fleshman, president and CEO of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. “We need supporters across the country to take action and join us in a movement to rewrite the future for pancreatic cancer, so we can achieve our goal to double survival by 2020.”
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is asking supporters to participate in six activities to increase awareness this November:
- It’s Time to Start a Global Conversation: Supporters can make purple emoji’s trend. By using the pre-drafted message in texts and other social messages, the world will see purple.
- It’s Time to Give: Any donation will help the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network reach a goal to raise $200 million by 2020.
- It’s Time to See Purple: Wear purple on World Pancreatic Cancer Day, Nov. 13, 2015, and share pictures on social media using #WPCD and #WageHope.
- It’s Time to Feel Empowered: Let patients and their loved ones know they can find free, comprehensive resources through the Pancreatic Cancer Action Networks Patient Central services. Contact a Patient Central Associate toll-free at (877) 272-6226, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. PT or email email@example.com.
- It’s Time to Raise Your Voice: Contact your member of Congress and ask them to wear purple on Nov. 13, 2015, in support of World Pancreatic Cancer Day.
- It’s Time to Stride: In communities across the country, tens of thousands of people will participate in one of over 50 PurpleStride events. These events range in size from brief walks to longer timed-runs, but they all share one common goal – to end pancreatic cancer.
Several corporate champions are supporting fundraising and awareness activities throughout the month of November, including:
- The ALEX AND ANI® Today Is an Opportunity Charm Bangle from the CHARITY BY DESIGN® collection: ALEX AND ANI will donate 20 percent of the purchase price from the Today Is an Opportunity bangle to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. The bangle is available at ALEX AND ANI retail locations nationwide, online at alexandani.com and at partner retailers.
- Hockey Fights Cancer: The National Hockey League (NHL) and the NHL Players’ Association (NHLPA) have again named the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network a Hockey Fights Cancer charitable partner for this season’s Hockey Fights Cancer Awareness Month (now through Nov. 13, 2015). As part of Hockey Fights Cancer, all 30 NHL Clubs are raising awareness for pancreatic cancer across North America.
- Tempur-Pedic® 2015 Hugs Back Campaign: Now through Dec. 1, 2015, Tempur-Pedic North America, LLC, will contribute $10 to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network for every individual who tests a Tempur-Pedic mattress with a ‘Rest Test’ at a participating authorized retailer, up to a maximum donation of $250,000.
- Pentel of America: Pentel’s violet EnerGel-X and EnerGel Alloy pens are considered the “Violet Pen of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.” All packs and 12-count boxes of violet EnerGel-X liquid gel pens and select violet EnerGel Alloy pens with violet ink prominently feature the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network logo. Five cents from the purchase of each package is donated to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.
- Z Gallerie Shirley Key Shopping Weekend: In memory of Shirley Zeiden, mother of the company’s founders, Z Gallerie will donate 10 percent of credit card sales from the Z Gallerie card to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network from Nov. 13-15, 2015.
With more supporters and volunteers, the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network can make strides toward its 2020 goal and accelerate its comprehensive approach to fighting the disease.
The strategy combines research, builds and sustains federal funding, provides support for individuals and families living with the disease through its unique patient services programs and raises awareness in communities across the country.
Doubling survival by 2020 aligns with another commitment set by the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network; raise $200 million by 2020. With these funds, the organization can significantly increase its investment in research efforts and continue to invest in groundbreaking research and clinical care to improve patient outcomes.
# # #
About the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is the national organization creating hope in a comprehensive way through research, patient support, community outreach and advocacy for a cure. The organization is leading the way to increase survival for people diagnosed with this devastating disease through a bold initiative — The Vision of Progress: Double Pancreatic Cancer Survival by 2020. To continue to accelerate progress, a goal to raise $200 million by 2020 is also in place. Together, we can Wage Hope and rewrite the future of pancreatic cancer.
MEDIA INQUIRIES ONLY CONTACT:
Senior Manager, Public Relations
Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
ALL OTHER INQUIRIES, PLEASE CALL THE PANCREATIC CANCER ACTION NETWORK AT 877-272-6226 OR EMAIL INFO@PANCAN.ORG.