The Staff Accountant is responsible for supporting the Senior Manager, Accounting, Controller and the CFO with all transactions presented in the monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements. Reviewing and entering journal entries for inventory additions and adjustments, amortization of prepaid expenses, additions to fixed assets, recording disposals and depreciation, accruals and other monthly entries. Financial statement production under the direction of the Controller. Assisting Controller with Cash Flow reporting. Serve as the primary back up for payables processing, which includes Corporate American Express credit card activity. Serve as the primary source on matters of compliance with various state tax regulations. Maintain current information for state sales tax and regulations for other in state activities.
- Work with CO, DCR and the Office Operations Manager, Human Resources and Facilities to file accurate and timely state registrations and tax information.
- Collaborate with Community Engagement departments to:
- Update state and local licensing and sales tax collection and reporting requirements for gaming and auctions, for obtaining W-9s from gaming winners, for withholding tax and remitting to tax authorities, if applicable, and for submitting W-G2 to the IRS on a timely basis.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts and assist Controller, Senior Manager, Accounting and CFO with balance analysis.
- Run monthly and quarterly financial statements on a timely basis.
- Assist Controller, Senior Accounting Manager and CFO in creating expense variance analysis, which accompanies monthly departmental reporting (by account grouping and project id).
- Monitor American Express activity for all corporate cards.
- Monitor and set-up Web Invoicing approval rules.
- Monitor and set-up American Express approval rules.
- Review and back up payables function.
- Responsible for bank reconciliations.
- Manage and review payables authorizations and PO systems.
- Work with merchandising to ensure activity into FE is accurate and timely.
- Assist with audit schedules and other year-end activity.
- Responsible for the development of staff training material regarding general ledger account coding.
- Responsibility for the annual calculation and continuing development of Dollar Handles.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS: The following are the minimum qualifications which an individual needs in order to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting.
- CPA license a plus.
- 2 to 3 years of experience in an accounting environment.
- Basic knowledge of not-for-profit revenue and expense procedures.
- Experience with Financial Edge, Raiser’s Edge, and Luminate Online desirable but not required.
- Intermediate Excel and basic Word knowledge.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Employee mentoring leadership style and customer-service focus.
- Ability to multi-task and work efficiently.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills.
Individuals assigned to this position must be able to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek management assistance as appropriate.