Director of National Affiliate Relations and Strategy
Reporting to the Vice President of Community Engagement, this position will be responsible for
overall strategy, planning, revenue growth, implementation, organizational development and
oversight of the Community Outreach program and the national volunteer affiliate network. This
will include providing guidance and direction to senior managers and the Community Outreach
department in all matters related to financial, organizational development and structure, event
planning, fundraising, volunteer recruitment and retention, awareness activities and outreach.
Specific duties of the position include:
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS:
- Ensure strong working relationships and shared goals between affiliates across the
country, Community Outreach staff and Headquarters to facilitate common commitments
to and delivery of mission.
- Oversee organizational development of volunteer affiliate structure and operations of the
Community Outreach program.
- Ensure fundraising events grow in a controlled manner to provide the greatest ROI in
terms of revenue and participation while using staff and volunteer time and
organizational resources efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure the protection of the organization’s not-for-profit status through proactive
integration of appropriiatte policies and processes with all volunteer programs.
- Oversee planning and facilitation of the annual Leadership Training.
- Provide regular updates to the Vice President, Community Engagement relative to the
status of the affiliate operations and the Community Outreach program.
- Ensure interaction and coordination with the organization’s other departments and
programs to ensure that the volunteer strategy is in sync with the organization’s overall
goals and priorities.
- Oversee development and implementation of an annual strategic plan for the Community
Outreach department and then monitor performance goals against the plan.
- Prepare Community Outreach program budget and oversee fiscal performance against
- Oversee and manage the Volunteer Advisory Council.
- Work with Donor & Corporate Relations staff to generate potential sponsorship
opportunities, resources for revenue, major gifts, workplace giving, professional contacts
and opportunities for positioning the affiliates to expand their role within the
- Demonstrate measurable outcomes for the Community Outreach program including
revenue growth, volunteer recruitment and retention, awareness and outreach activities,
and event participation including individuals, teams and corporations.
The ideal candidate will have excellent planning, organizing, and leadership/supervisory skills.
He/She will have a collaborative leadership style and the ability to develop and nurture healthy
relationships with people across a wide network of constituencies and diverse cultures.
Candidates must have the ability to think strategically, synthesize the most complex needs of the
constituents and communities where interaction occurs and successfully develop innovative
solutions to problems. He/She will be a results oriented professional who has the ability to
facilitate progressive change. A strong customer service mentality is important. Excellent
verbal, written, listening, and executive level presentation skills are essential. The Director will
have strong relationship building skills and be able to elicit cooperation across sectors and
varying viewpoints. He/She will be able to interact effectively and professionally at all levels.
The Director must have the ability to assess and identify opportunities to advance the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network’s mission.
CAREER PATH LEADING TO THIS POSITION:
The successful candidate will have 7-10 years of progressively responsible non-profit experience
in fundraising, event planning and volunteer management with demonstrated leadership skills.
Ideally, he/she will have demonstrated expertise in directing volunteer-based programs;
knowledge of program planning, budgeting, monitoring, and evaluation processes; demonstrated
expertise in the elements of successful fundraising events; and demonstrated expertise in
affiliate/chapter organizational development. Some understanding or interest in pancreatic
cancer or cancer research, while not required, would be a plus.
A Bachelors degree is required.
Annual compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Relocation
assistance is negotiable and an excellent benefits package will be provided.