The Public Relations Specialist supports grassroots media outreach efforts by working with volunteer Media Representatives in specified affiliates and Community Representatives across the country, and internal staff who support them, to increase awareness locally of pancreatic cancer, the organization and the affiliate activities and advocacy efforts.
- Work with Public Relations Manager on development of grassroots media outreach strategy for large organizational campaigns – National Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month, Purple with a Purpose, PurpleLight National Vigil for Hope, Pancreatic Cancer Advocacy Day, Pancreatic Cancer Clinical Trials Awareness Month, and National Volunteer Appreciation Month,.
- Increase grassroots media coverage by working closely with affiliate volunteer Media Representatives and Community Representatives to promote signature events, including PurpleStride, PurpleLight National Vigil for Hope, National Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month and other campaigns.
- Work with Public Relations Manager to consistently update template press documents, including press releases, media alerts, calendar advisories, letters to the editor and public service announcement scripts.
- Manage Letters to the Editor on Capwiz site as well as media documents in online Volunteer Toolbox
- Provide social media support for volunteer pages as needed
- Provide strategic guidance and ongoing training for Media Representatives, including:
- Updating online volunteer toolbox with best practices
- Conducting monthly webinar for new Media Representatives in select affiliates and Community Representatives
- Co-train with PR Manager at annual volunteer leadership conference
- Assist volunteers in creating targeted media lists for specified affiliates and Community Representative events and activities.
- Provide training and guidance to Affiliate Spokespeople to ensure they are able to effectively communicate to the local media about the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, the disease, local events and activities, awareness campaigns and advocacy efforts.
- Review and approve any media documents submitted by volunteers to ensure current statistics and organizational messaging is accurate.
- Track media hits to showcase the coverage for affiliates across the country.
- Develop content for monthly Inside Track Newsletter to Core Role Volunteers across the country.
- Assist the PR Manager during breaking news events and leverage media reps to maximize exposure
- Special projects as determined by the PR Manager, Sr. Manager, Public Relations and Vice President of Marketing Communications.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS: The following are the minimum qualifications which an individual needs in order to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this position.
- Four year College or University degree or equivalent experience in marketing, business, or communications.
- Minimum of 2 years of prior Public Relations experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excel, Word and PowerPoint knowledge
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize workload
- Ability to train and lead volunteers